…so we are going to make sure we enjoy it! Time can seem to go by so fast, and especially so in the summer, even though the daytimes are longer.
There are many simple pleasures to enjoy at this time of year, by slowing down and keeping plenty of time free to really experience each moment.
Some of our favourite simple summer pleasures are:
- Growing the brightest annual flowers we can find (see above!)
- Ice creams: a lot of pleasure for a small amount of cash (we never have ice cream available at home – we don’t have a freezer – so it is always a special treat and makes for a memorable day)
- The feeling of getting into the shade on a hot day
- Watching the insects pollinating our plants
- Reading and writing outdoors
- Having bare feet
- Catching the very last of the daylight and listening to the birds going to bed
- A cold glass of water
- Cycling in the sunshine – Brian had a spontaneous trip out today in fact
- Having a cooling wash and change of clothes on a humid day
- Picking salad in the morning before work
- Being able to eat outside during lunch breaks at work
- Wearing sunglasses and sunhats…
- …or enjoying the strange sensation of warm rain!
- Watching our garden wildlife with their young, such as this spider living in a kale leaf with eggs about to hatch:
- Keeping the curtains open until almost bedtime
- More people cycling and playing sports in parks
- Fish and chips after work (we enjoyed this one day last week!)
- And of course the seaside…we haven’t been yet, but it’s now only 2 weeks until our summer staycation so we’ll be visiting soon.
We love every time of the year but it can be easy to take for granted the unique things about summer: the hours of light to start and end the day, the colours and sounds of wildlife, and the freedom to move between the indoors and outdoors in comfort most of the time. This summer we’re going to make sure that we enjoy every day and appreciate this bright and lush season.